Challenge #8 | NYC’s GI Program
Time: 30 minutes
Materials Needed: your computer
In 2010, Mayor Bloomberg released the NYC Green Infrastructure Plan to reduce combined sewer overflows. This plan is responsible for the construction and maintenance of the green infrastructure (GI) sites that you work at every week. Take a minute to watch this video to learn more about NYC’s GI program. When you’re done, answer the following questions:
1. Which agency is responsible for maintaining the health and quality of NYC’s waterways? Within this agency, which office is responsible for overseeing NYC’s GI? Which agencies assist in the building and maintenance of GI?
2. How much sanitary flow (compared to normal) are NYC’s wastewater treatment plants designed to handle?
3. What percentage of NYC is impervious?
4. How much money is NYC set to spend on GI before 2030?
5. About how much water can a right of way bioswale hold?
6. According to the video, what are some of the challenges to NYC’s GI program? Can you think of any more challenges or obstacles the city might face in the short term? In the long term?
7. According to the video, what are some of the benefits GI can provide to NYC? Can you think of any more benefits GI might provide to you, your neighborhood, and the city as a whole?
You know your job is complete when…..
You have watched the video, answered the questions, and posted a Journal entry of your responses. If you are having trouble writing a Journal post, please email your completed challenge answers to email@example.com.